Graduate School of Engineering Support Center

Master's Degree along the way to PhD

Last Updated: Aug 29, 2019 11:02AM EDT
If you are enrolled in a PhD degree program, and would like to request to earn a Master's Degree "along the way" to your PhD degree, follow this process:

1) Check with your department to be sure you understand the implications of earning a Master's Degree "along the way" to a PhD degree.  In some programs, earning an MS degree and a PhD degree requires additional coursework.
2) Complete a petition form, checking off "other", and indicating in the Reason that you are requesting an "MS along the way to PhD".  Provide the concentration for the Master's Degree (if applicable to your degree program).  Attach an unofficial Northeastern transcript (print it out from your myNEU account) with courses that count toward the MS degree circled on the transcript.  
3) Submit to your PhD advisor for review/signature if approved.
4) If the petition is approved by your advisor, continue on:
5) If you are a student in the ECE department, submit the petition form to Ms. Faith Crisley for review by the Chair of the ECE Graduate Committee.
6) If you are a student in the MIE department, submit the petition form to Professor Nader Jalili, Associate Chair for MIE Graduate Studies and Research, for review/signature if approved.
7) When all of the above are complete, submit the petition to the Graduate School in 130 Snell Engineering.  A member of the Student Services team will review your request and communicate with you regarding next steps.

Note:  If you are an international student, you do not need to make any change to your I-20 to earn a "Master's Degree along the way to PhD."   (If you change your degree program to Master's level, that is different and DOES require a new I-20.)

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found